Monday, February 11, 2008

Dessert Sinsations - Feb '08

Me and my girlfriends ventured to Dessert Sinsations for a little get together last week. We wanted to try the Ciao Winnipeg "Dine About" menu and of course try a new to us restaurant. Fairly pleased with this choice.
http://www.dessertsinsations.com/

Rating: 1 Poor - 5 Great

Atmosphere................4.5
Music .......................N/A
Food............................3 (Dessert....5)
Service........................2.5
Menu Selection..........4
Wine Selection ........N/A
Price...........................3*
*price is based on quality of food

Finally, I was the not first to show up and arrived on time, not my usual 10 minutes too early (something I'm working on). The atmosphere I really liked. Very modern and warm. High ceilings, bright colours and the smells of cakes and pastries in the air - what's not to love about that??

The 'Dine About' menu looked fantastic and we each opted for the chicken, salmon was the other offering. Soup was some sort of chowder and apparently good, I opted for the salad but was rather disappointed with it. It was supposed to be mixed greens with potato, bacon and sundried tomato. I did not see any tomatos and searched high and low for a dressing.

Our next course was the chicken with mixed veg, rice pilaf and a creamy dijon sauce. Basically it was chicken cordon bleu. Not much flavour here, aside from the lump of pepper the server dumped on my plate without me requesting it - and no apology for doing so.

Finally dessert came. mmmm! This place is called Dessert Sinsations for a reason. Three of us chose the cheesecake with warm apple compote, and our 4th guest decided on the chocolate parfait. Both equally delicious, although mine was better the next day, a little less frozen.

I can't/won't comment on the wine as I just had coffee and didn't even look at the list.

I wasn't overly impressed with our server. She appeared to be either pre-occupied or really not excited about her job. And this reflected on the service.

I will return to try a different dish, will definately return for the desserts and will give them another shot on the service.

I think my overall rating would have to be 3.5.

No comments: